Monday, February 28, 2005

The Coding Humanist: Back In Action

Okay, so I'm back now. I've had an incredibly busy week and a half, as you can probably guess. Here are the events and a few thoughts, in summary.

1. Unfortunately, we had to go with a c-section this time. She was just too chunky. Fortunately, though, it went very well. They let me come in, though I didn't really watch. I just hung out with Kat on the other side of the sheet that blocked her view. It was actually a little funny to hear them chanting in chorus all the surgical utensils at the end. I asked and they said it was to make sure they didn't leave anything in her. I was thankful :)

2. Jonathan, our 2-year-old, responded very well to Abigail. No problems there at all. He is also very conscious when she's crying. When he hears it he says, "Abby, Abby" to let us know that she's crying. Very cute.

3. Abigail (or Abby for short, usually) is a very good sleeper and eater. I'm getting a lot more sleep this time than I did when Jonathan was born. I am, of course, very thankful for that!

4. Kathryn is doing well and recovering quickly, though she is very tired. But I guess that is to be expected.

5. I had to work a little last week, but this week starts me back on my normal schedule. At least close to normal. One member of the team is leaving, so I'm going to be taking on some new responsibilities to fill in the gap. But, it should be fine.

Well, I guess that's the last week and a half in brief. The more we return toward a state of normalcy, the better. And it is happening...slowly.

4 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Blogger Joe Weaks said...

Eric,
Congrats on the baby. Man, the change from one to two is almost as drastic as the change from none to one. On the bright side, I've heard that having a third is less world-turning-upside down as the previous two changes... though I'll never know.

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger Kirk H. Sowell said...

Regarding point number 1:
I thought the chant of the utensils was interesting, since this is a problem that I've seen in my reviews of medical malpractice cases. It doesn't happen real often, but sometimes surgical teams will leave sponges, utinsels or even towels inside patients. Like I said, it doesn't happen often, but when it does it can be rather inconvenient, especially to the patient.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Eric Sowell said...

The change from one to two has not been as drastic, but that's really just because Abigail is better about eating than Jonathan was. But, it hasn't been ALL roses. And I hope you're right about adding the third...

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Eric Sowell said...

Yes, Kirk, I would think that leaving medical utensils would be rather uncomfortable. But if you've got lots of Vicodin, you might not notice for a while. I wonder how long someone could go without knowing somebody left a scalpel behind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home