Monday, August 08, 2005

More Reading...

There has been lots of book lists recently by some bloggers that I read (Scot McKnight has several, Primal Subversion, Euangelion, and some who talked about them like Stuff of Earth, and others which I am sure I missed.). Just reading these lists make me realize how much more I need to read. Over the last couple of years most of my reading has been tech related, as I've inundated myself in that arena and have gotten myself to where I am at least moderately proficient in programming. But now I'm needing to spend more time in the biblical studies reading world once more.

So I'm moving on to new reading again. Right now I'm back to my reading in Bultmann, and I'm still working my way through Coupland's microserfs. After I finish Bultmann I'll either move on to Hays' Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul or Wright's The Resurrection of the Son of God. Haven't decided yet. When I finish microserfs I'll probably move on to my new Indigo book by Pallmann.

As for Greek, right now I'm working through the beginning of the Testament of Abraham. I've decided to put myself on a regimen (as much as possible, given my activities) that includes as much non-familiar Greek as possible. Its just too easy to translate the NT, or even the LXX, when you have English translations burned into your subconcious. I was hoping to get away from that in the LXX by working in Conybeare and Stock's Grammar of Septuagint Greek, but I don't think that is unfamiliar enough territory.

I like reading.

4 Comments:

At 5:02 AM, Blogger Ken Penner said...

If familiarity is an issue, the LXX still has good potential if you read the deutero-canonicals. I'm thinking of 3 and 4 Maccabees in particular will give your Greek a good workout and at the same time fill in some of the history/legends from the second temple period.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Eric Sowell said...

Yes, those probably would work just fine. Excellent thinking.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Kirk H. Sowell said...

I would suggest some Byzantine Greek.

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Eric Sowell said...

I would like to do that at some point, though I want to focus for a little while on Koine and earlier. I've done sparse translation in Byzantine before, and it doesn't strike me as too terribly different than Koine. Then again, I didn't do too much...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home